Makafui Awuku is an author, a poet and a spoken word artist, who addresses and shares his concerns on a lot of issues and topics. Better known as The Poet, he is also the Director of Students Initiative Ghana, a student US-based NGO, a mentor, a soccer trainer with American International School in Accra. He authored ‘The Tertiary Years’.
He describes his poetry and spoken word as a ministry with the vision to inspire hope, provoke dreams, and encourage people in a place of darkness and depression. He also uses poetry to advocate social change and personal development.
Such advocacy includes the fight against galamsey tagged, ‘STOP GALAMSEY’, where he wrote a poem to support and had it published on Citi FM online; and also did a poem and spoken word video about mothers, which was also published and shared with mothers in Lagos Nigeria.
His 2017 performance activities include:
- Ghana @60 Culture Day celebrations at the National Theatre
- Joy FM’s Open Mic event, where he shared stage with Ghana’s finest MC, Manifest and Standup Comedy Show, KSM.
- Global Tedx event themed, ‘African Dialogues’, where he shared stage with Ghana’s fastest rapper, Sarkodie and other great speakers from Africa at the Accra International Conference
- Ghana Startup Awards night at Movernpick Hotel
- Chalewotey Festival at James Town
- Launch of Professor Goski Alabi’s ‘Total Quality Book’ where professors from all over Africa witnessed my performance.
- Young African Leadership Initiative, an initiative by former United States of America’s President Obama. (Makafui was selected, hence, participating in a 5weeks YALI program at a University in Lagos.)